F1 and H1B Visas



Students who wish to study in the U.S. must first apply for an F1 visa. Each school or institution will have a Designated School Officer who can also assist you with this process. Recent changes in the law have made getting an F1 visa a more lengthy and complicated process, especially for non-citizens who already reside in the U.S.

The Optional Practical Training program that allows eligible F1 students to work can also be difficult to navigate. While your college or university is a great first stop, we at Gardner Gordon recommend that you schedule a consultation with our team if you have questions about how to change your status, your current work eligibility, OPT extensions, or any other issues that could affect your immigration status in the future.

H-1B Specialty Occupation Visas

H-1B visas are one of the best-known and most sought after nonimmigrant visas. These “work visas” require an offer of employment from a U.S. company for a job in a specialty occupation that requires a bachelor’s degree or higher. H-1B specialty occupations include jobs in various fields, such as:

  • Chemistry

  • Physics

  • Mathematics

  • Computer science

  • Engineering and information technology

  • Economics

  • Education

  • Accounting

No more than 65,000 new H-1B visas are authorized each fiscal year. There are an additional 20,000 visas available for people with a U.S. master’s degree or greater. As a result of the high demand for this limited number of visas, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) holds a lottery to select applicants for consideration.

H-1B visa holders may bring their spouses and children with them to the U.S. The status is valid for up to 6 years and holders may change jobs while in the U.S., as long as their new employer is willing to sponsor them.

The requirements for the H-1B visa are complex and the regulations difficult for employers and employees to navigate.

Contact Us Today

All Evaluations Are Confidential
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Case Results

Results That Speak for Themselves
  • Approved for Adjustment of Status
  • Approved Green Card
  • Filed I-918 U-Visa Petition
  • Received Certificate of Citizenship
  • Released from ICE / Pending Work Permit
  • Renew Existing I-765 While Pending VAWA & I-48
  • Secured a New P1 Visa
  • Secured Green Cards
  • Spouse’s Green Card Granted
  • Waiver Approved

The Right Attorneys

May Make All the Difference in the Outcome of Your Case
  • High Quality Legal Representation

    As a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, the North Carolina Advocates for Justice, the North Carolina Bar Association, and the North Carolina State Bar, Attorney Gardner has a reputation for professionalism and elite representation.

  • Your Success Is Our Priority

    Hiring a knowledgeable and passionate immigration attorney to represent your interests is one of the most important steps you can take. When you come to us, we will take a personal interest in your case because we genuinely care about your success.

  • Hablamos Español

    Lead Attorney Gardner, a world traveler, speaks fluent Spanish; as does the entire Gardner Gordon support team.Our attorneys will personally handle each legal aspect of your case. We will help you obtain the sense of ease and peace of mind you deserve during this trying and difficult time.

  • We Educate Clients

    We will review your case, inform you of your rights, and guide you in the path that best suits your needs. We will fully equip you to make informed decisions every step of the way. We will offer you the zealous advocacy and compassionate support you deserve.