Family Based Immigration

Family Based Immigration Lawyers in Raleigh

Reuniting Families in the U.S.

One of the most common paths to immigration in the United States is known as "family based immigration." If you have a family member who is willing to sponsor you, this option may be right for your situation.

First, your relative must file an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative on your behalf. This immigrant visa petition must then be approved by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Your sponsor must also be willing and able to financially support you - and he or she must demonstrate this willingness and ability by filling out an Affidavit of Support. After these steps have been completed, you will be free to apply for your immigrant visa.

Contact Gardner Gordon regarding an issue within the realm of family based immigration, including but not limited to the following:

  • Adjustment of status
  • Consular processing
  • Waivers
  • Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) petitions

Am I Eligible to Apply for Family-Based Immigration?

A U.S. citizen may apply for "immediate relatives" to immigrate to the country. Immediate relatives are defined as including the parents, husbands, wives, and children of U.S. citizens.

Other relatives may apply but they will receive a lower priority. Their priority will be determined by their relationship to the U.S. citizen. For example, unmarried children who are over the age of 21 are "first preference" in this category. Additionally, the spouses and children of U.S. permanent residents may also apply for legal residency. They are considered "second preference."

Dedicated Immigration Representation in Raleigh

To learn more about family based immigration, contact Gardner Gordon. Our Raleigh immigration attorneys can help you understand your options at this time. With decades of collective experience and a reputation for skilled client advocacy, our attorneys are prepared to advance your rights and help you navigate the complex immigration system successfully.

Learn more when you call our office at (919) 355-5134 to schedule a legal case evaluation today.

Contact Us Today

All Evaluations Are Confidential
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Case Results

Results That Speak for Themselves
  • Approved Green Card AC21 Portability at the I-485 Interview

    We worked with her and her new employer to finalize her employment, prepare the I-485 Supplement J and gather the documentation to present at her interview under AC21 to allow her to port her I-140 and green card application.

  • Approved for Adjustment of Status Family Member Adjustment of Status Granted

    Our client wanted to apply for adjustment of status via the 245i form, based on her sister’s US Citizenship that was granted many years prior to our case.

  • Secured Their Green Cards H2B to LPR

    After successfully getting Form 9089 certified by the Dept of Labor for supervisory positions with the company, we were able to reach out to the employees and work with the company to submit an I-140/I-485 petition which was successfully approved.

  • Waiver Approved I-601A Waiver

    Waver was pending for almost one year, but it was approved and we are currently working on consular processing.

  • Received Certificate of Citizenship N-600

    This LPR client came to us worried about naturalizing because she had a bad criminal record and her naturalization application would probably be denied. After a thorough review of her family history, we realized she was already a US citizen through the Child Citizenship Act.

  • Secure a New P1 Visa for 3 Years P1 Visa

    We were able to work with his new manager to put together the needed information about their business, required licenses, and his ability to secure a new P1 visa for 3 years.

  • Released from ICE / Pending Work Permit Removal (Bond Motion)

    Immigrant had a prior order of removal from over 10 years ago. He was detained by ICE again and his US citizen wife hired us to try to get him out. We filed a Motion To Reopen his In Absentia Order with the immigration court in New Orleans, Louisiana.

  • Green Card was Granted Same-Sex, Marriage-Based Adjustment of Status

    The petition did not have any red flags but the USCIS officer interviewed them separately (Stokes Interview) and asked incredibly specific and detailed questions about their finances, work history, and friends and family.

  • Filed for I-918 U-Visa Petition U Visa Certification

    Re-submitted the request, along with the USCIS regulations noting that she had met the requirements in having provided assistance as well as her state of mind following the incident.

  • Renew Existing I-765 While Pending VAWA & I-48 VAWA

    We submitted her application, received a prima facie determination, and asked for her marriage-based I-485 to be held in abeyance until the I-360 VAWA petition could be approved.

The Right Attorneys

May Make All the Difference in the Outcome of Your Case
  • High Quality Legal Representation

    As a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, the North Carolina Advocates for Justice, the North Carolina Bar Association, and the North Carolina State Bar, Attorney Gardner has a reputation for professionalism and elite representation.

  • Your Success Is Our Priority

    Hiring a knowledgeable and passionate immigration attorney to represent your interests is one of the most important steps you can take. When you come to us, we will take a personal interest in your case because we genuinely care about your success.

  • Hablamos Español

    Lead Attorney Gardner is a world traveler who speaks fluent Spanish; the entire Gardner Gordon support team is fluent in Spanish as well.  Our attorney will personally handle each legal aspect of your case.  We will help you obtain the sense of ease and peace of mind you deserve during this trying and difficult time.

  • We Educate Clients

    We will review your case, inform you of your rights, and guide you in the path that best suits your needs. We will fully equip you to make informed decisions every step of the way. We will offer you the zealous advocacy and compassionate support you deserve.