Maryam honors her Syrian Irish American heritage and commitment to equity for all people in her service as an immigration and criminal defense lawyer. She is the daughter of an immigrant and comes from a long line of Irish/German immigrants that stretches all the way to the founding of America.
Maryam came to Gardner Gordon with years of experience as an immigration lawyer and as an Assistant District Attorney in Bronx County, New York. This affords her a unique ability to serve her clients in the intersecting and rapidly changing areas of criminal law, immigration law, and federal litigation. Her courtroom experience provides her the edge to fight for bond and removal defense in immigration court.
Maryam graduated from UNC School of Law as a Chancellor’s Scholar following a Masters of Arts in Social Service Administration from the University of Chicago. She is truly a double counselor as a lawyer and trained mental health advocate.
Outside of the office, Maryam is the proud mother of twin girls and creates Arabic themed embroidery and cross-stitch art.
Maryam is fluent in Arabic and continues to gain competency in Turkish, German, Spanish, and American Sign Language.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth District
- Supreme Court of North Carolina
- Supreme Court of New York, Appellate Division, First Judicial Department
- UNC School of Law, J.D., 2016
- University of Chicago, M.A., 2013
- UNC-Chapel Hill, B.A., 2010
- Wake County Bar Association
- Muslim Bar Association of North Carolina
- European Court of Human Rights: Under the Light of Leyla Sahin Decision, English Editor.